3 Sun damage

Sunlight is the great sinner when it comes to wrinkles. Dermatologist professor Chris Griffiths at Salford Royal Hospital estimates that up to 75 % of wrinkles is caused solely by sunlight, while the other 25 % is caused by smoking and pollution.

There are two types of sunrays, UVB and UVA. UVB rays are the rays that can cause painful sunburns and mutations in the skin. UVA rays are the rays that gives your skin color (and are therefor used in tanning beds) – the color however is your skins attempt to prevent further injury, which can lead to skin cell mutations.

Prevention

The best prevention against sun damage is to avoid the sun, and to use skincare with SPF. Go for eye creams and day creams with an SPF around 15-30, and look for words like “broad spectrum” to ensure that the sunscreen protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Be sure to keep your morning skin care routine all year around, as it’s always important to protect your skin from the sun, even in the wintertime.

Skincare for protecting against UV-radiation

Beyond SPF
SPF should only be one strategy to protect your skin from the sun.
– Cover up with clothing, sunglasses and hats
– Seek the shade during peak hours between 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
– Choose hand lotions and hair products with SPF
– Many hydration mists and setting sprays also contain SPF which can easily be reapplied during the day
– If you are going swimming, it’s important to choose a water-resistant sunscreen, and to reapply when leaving the water

Healing of sun damage

There are varies ingredients that will soothe sunburned skin, to help minimize the damage.

Skincare for healing sun damage

Back

>> Clothing